President Barack Obama has repeatedly said he wants to find “common ground” with pro-lifers. In July, he even told Pope Benedict XVI that he wants to “reduce the number of abortions.”
Unfortunately, President Obama’s actions have consistently contradicted his words. He has established his Administration as perhaps the most pro-abortion in history. Here’s why:
1) President Obama reversed the Mexico City Policy four days after taking office. Instead of restricting foreign aid to organizations who directly support abortion, American taxpayers will be funding abortions overseas, all while trying to make ends meet in the midst of a recession
2) The new omnibus budget in February increased money spent on the abortion industry, including an increase of $7.5 million to $307.5 million for Title X Domestic Family Planning and a 19% increase of $88 million to $545 million for International Family Planning
3) President Obama nominated the most pro-abortion governor in the country, Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius, to be Secretary of HHS, which oversees millions spent on the abortion industry. Sebelius has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the abortion industry and had close ties to late-term abortionist Dr. George Tiller.
4) In March, President Obama started the proceedings to rescind the “conscience clause” regulations put in place by President Bush, which protects doctors, medical students and other healthcare professionals who are experiencing increasing incidents of discrimination for refusing to participate in abortion for moral reasons.
5) On March 17, 2009, for the first time in eight years, the Obama State Department released $50 million to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), an organization linked to China’s one-child policy and coerced abortions. Unsatisfied by the $50 million mark, House members led by pro-abortion Representative Louise Slaughter, are asking for even more money in the next budget Congress will consider.
6) Under Obama’s new healthcare plan, the same advocates that are pushing for taxpayer-funded abortions and wiping out parental consent laws, were front and center at the Healthcare Summit in Washington, DC to present their solutions
7) President Obama signed an executive order forcing American taxpayers to fund embryonic stem cell research without limiting it to surplus embryos who would “die anyway.” As pointed in a column by Charles Krauthammer, President Obama “pointedly left open the creation of cloned — and non-cloned sperm-and-egg-derived — human embryos solely for the purpose of dismemberment and use for parts.”
8) President Obama started our country on the road to rationing of health care – in the name of “stimulating the economy.” Since the Stimulus bill became law in February 2009, with rationing provisions contained in it, the legal structures that allow the rationing of health services are already in place.
9) In May, President Obama released a new budget that allows the Legal Services Corporation to use tax dollars to pay for pro-abortion litigation, calls for taxpayer funded abortions in the nation’s capital, and eliminated all federal funding for abstinence-only education.
10) President Obama has nominated several people to high levels of government who are in favor of abortion, Sonia Sonotmayor as a Supreme Court nominee, Harold Hongju Koh, Melanne Verveer, Elena Kagan, David Ogden, former Emily’s List board member Melody Barnes, and former NARAL legal director Dawn Johnsen. His latest nominee, the science czar, John Holdren has written that he favors forced abortions.
11) The current healthcare bill, as of July 2009, mandates abortion be covered under all health plans, forces Americans to pay for abortions and offers no protection to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals who decline to perform medical procedures, like abortions, to which they are morally opposed.